What is Sons Day in the United States of America? Well, it is a celebration of the men who fight and serve our country. It is a day to honor the men who have given their lives to protect and defend our great nation. It is celebrated on the last Friday of October every year. This holiday honors the men who are currently serving in the Armed Forces as well as their parents and family members.
The holiday was created by an American General, George S. Patton. It is a simple celebration honoring all the military men who are currently serving or have served in the military. A plaque is usually presented to each soldier on this special day. If you are interested in being a part of this program, you can contact your local Veterans Association or visit a VA office for more information.
What do you normally do on this special day? Many people just go outdoors and enjoy the beautiful fall weather. In years past, the entire town of remembrance was decorated and there was a parade down Main Street in downtown Norfolk. Families gather at a family recreation center to watch a movie, play games, eat snacks and enjoy the day. Many people join other groups outside to observe the sunlight and take in the beautiful autumn scene.
National Sons Day 2021 Messages
- Do I want to be a hero to my son? No. I would like to be a very real human being. That’s hard enough. – Robert Downey, Jr.
- You don’t raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they’ll turn out to be heroes, even if it’s just in your own eyes. – Wally Schirra
- Be strong out there, my son. Look for the love and kindness in others. Forgive yourself when you make mistakes, and enjoy the journey. – Kirsten Wreggitt, Before I Let You Go
- Mothers all want their sons to grow up to be president, but they don’t want them to become politicians in the process. – John F. Kennedy
- Your son will open your eyes, broaden your knowledge, and help your sense of humor. Michael Thompson Ph.D., Speaking of Boys
When was Sons Day created? It was actually created by a military officer. He wanted a way to recognize all the members of his unit that had given their lives for their country. As it turned out, there were several different types of groups that were recognized for their service to the nation. These were the first of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Navy-Marines, the Army Air Corp, the Coast Guard and the Vietnam-era Veterans of Antietam.
Who creates the annual list of names? Every year a group of individuals, relatives and organizations are selected to be on the list. Then they are given a name and a description of why they are featured on the day. The person who chooses to come up with the names usually does so because they have an interest in the military. Some of those names have actually been taken from actual events that took place in that year.
How do you celebrate this special day? A lot of people celebrate by wearing t shirts with the unit or organization’s name on it. You might also choose to give a uniform to a young boy who is celebrating. The decorations that will be used will vary depending on the time period in question. Traditions change from one region of the country to another but typically there will be plaques that are displayed for all to see and special medals that are presented to those who deserve them.